Sunday, February 7, 2010

Gage -Two Months Old

Gage: Two Months Old Sunday, February 7, 2010 at 9:54pm
This past month has held a lot of new moments for you. You have gotten a personality in the past few weeks. You smile and coo and make baby babble sounds. You like to lay on your play mat and look at your handsome baby face in the mirror. I prop you up and make sounds at you, and sometimes you'll echo back and we will go back and forth a few rounds. You rolled over on your 7 week birthday, but that's the only time it's happened. So, I know it's only a matter of time til you're going to college.
This baby stage is the hardest. You've had some colic-y evenings and it's been hard on me and your dad. You scream and scream and usually only a bath will do in keeping you calm. But, it occurred to me tonight that you're entitled to freaking out occasionally. I admit this outside world is not nearly as easy as the place you came from. Tonight, I gave you a bath, but you got tired of it, and decided it no longer pleased Sire and Sire wished to have something else to amuse him. So, I tried to give you a bottle. But, to no avail. So, I ended up sitting in the bathroom next to the bathtub feeding you a bottle while I let the cold water run. The sounds calmed you down enough to eat. And, then, lo and behold, you were sleepy. And then you weren't. Talk about going a few rounds...
Daddy needed a haircut, and you were happy so I laid you down in your bed, thinking you'd hang tight til I was done. But, guess what? YOU FELL ASLEEP. ALL BY YOURSELF. And, then I scared the crap out of your dad when he was leaving the closet getting his shoes because I was so excited to tell him that YOU FELL ASLEEP. ALL BY YOURSELF. And right now, you're asleep. Because I am actually writing you a day before you're two months old. I figured I should take the chance while I had it.
You've met a lot of new people this month. Mostly all the women who were waiting to meet you since you were born. Your dad and I haven't been much fun this past month. We've gotten to see our friends once. We have been able to take you places though. I went to the grocery store with you and you slept the whole time, and then slept another whole hour once we got home. We went to the mall to shop and you were so good, sleeping and looking around. People seem fascinated to look at you. I guess I never noticed how much people notice babies. Even other kids notice you. It's cool to see toddlers peeking at you, like kids know something. You met Gus and Emmerson this week too. Gus hugged you and it made me think that I was pretty sure you needed to be a big brother. Of course, that means having another baby, and right now, Mommy isn't loony tunes. So, you'll be waiting a while on that one.
Your smile and baby laughs make the colic moments liveable. We joke how nice it must be to be a baby. You get fed and changed, and you have a good looking woman who is your personal nose and butt cleaner. I think you've got it made. But, really, I guess it's hard being so new to everything. And, not being able to help yourself or defend yourself - not that you've needed defending. But, really, life is so new to you and you don't know the first thing about handling it. That's hard when I think about it. And, when I look like I'm about to lose my cool, I am reminded that I am thankful I have a crying baby to hold and comfort. Because not everyone gets that in life.
I look back each time I have written you, and the same things come to mind.
1. I don't know how we survived it.
2. You amaze me every single day.
3. No one and nothing could have prepared me for this.
4. I love you in a way that has infected every fiber of my being, and I would lay down my life every second for you.
5. You've made the bond and love between your dad and I stronger.
6. You're absolutely, positively a miracle.

This next nonth, I am hoping you'll grow out of the colic. But, like daddy says to you: "We love you even when you're noisy."

Love, Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment