Monday, March 12, 2012

All the fiber you can stand

I recently heard from my friend, Kerri, about this really neat produce deal called Bountiful Baskets. (She's a savings guru, so check out her blog to find more great local deals.) I am totally addicted to this produce basket. It's a co-op that pools our purchasing power to get fruits and veggies directly from local farmers and growers, sort of like a farmer's market does. But, it's all volunteer/non-profit so it's truly a co-op. You just need to plan on donating an hour or so of your time every 6 weeks to balance your good karma :). I feel almost guilty about the great deal that it is. For instance, this week we paid our $15 on Monday and then Saturday we drove to the pick up location and got the following items:

-Bag of apples
-Bag's worth of oranges
-approx 8 bananas
-3 or 4 cucumbers
-1 pint of bluberries
-1 head of romaine lettuce
-1 bunch of kale
-1 bunch of carrots
-1 bunch of asparagus
-1 pineapple
-green chiles
-sweet banana peppers

I feel like I am forgetting something. I promised myself that I would take a picture with my phone before I unpacked the baskets into my reusable grocery bags this week, just to show you how awesome it is. Curtis made fun of me for being so excited after the first week, since he didn't get to come with me. But, this week he came and he admitted it was pretty cool and he enjoyed unpacking and checking out all the produce goodies. Gage was even excited about getting our "begables" and bummed that he fell asleep in the car and missed the actual pick up. He asked about it twice when he woke up afterward.

I made a big salad Saturday night and we ate it with dinner both nights this weekend. (there's still more) And, last week, I had cut up a bunch of the fruit and put it in a container in the fridge and we all snacked on fruit all week. It's literally changed the way we eat - healthier, simpler - all the fiber we can stand! I almost feel guilty getting such a good deal, but with jumping off and Curtis working for himself only, we are saving where we can. I am impatiently waiting for 12 o'clock so I can login and order our basket for this weekend.

I know that when the baby starts eating solids, this is a great way to skip the canned stuff and make our own homemade baby food. There's just no reason not to with all the stuff we're getting. I am super excited for all the summer berries and the peaches. And winter produce. The fall squash. Just excited. I think I've always had a weird thing for produce...and this is like a dream come true for me.

So, check out the BB website and get your basket ordered - less than 10 minutes til 12!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment