Friday, September 17, 2010

And then there were five...


It seems like we've arrived over the hill of this round of teething. Gage has 5 teeth now. Of course, that means the matching fang will arrive in about a week, as we experienced with his first two top teeth. The best part is that he slept through the night again last night, so I don't have to sell him on craiglist.

We have our fist official play date today, so I'm glad he's not going to act more insane than usual. He crawled up to a sock of his that he had been playing with this week, and instead of picking it up, he leaned over and grabbed it in his mouth like a dog and looked up at me. Strange little man. It's bittersweet to hear "mama" in the baby monitor when he calls for me in the mornings. Because for 9 months I had hoped he would be trained to say "dada" at 5:45am! But, it's kinda sweet that he's calling for me.

Monday night was pretty rough for Gage and myself and even Curtis...Gage was a MESS all night and we got hardly any sleep. And, I had some moments where I look back and think, "Yeah, I'm not really proud of how little patience I have after the 4th wake up before 2am." Curtis is always quick to remind me that we will both make a lot of mistakes as parents, and

q.O 78 0 OJJJGJGFFUGUGU AA CX XCVMVI43

(I let Gage use the keyboard, and that's what he had to say about it)

So, another failure on my part. Unfortunately it will not be the last. And, there was no adorable "mama" coming through the baby monitor either. More like angry baby screams. If you're a parent, you know what I mean. If you're not, then I laugh in your face if you think it's not as bad as I'm saying. Because I'm not talking about the whiney, overtired kids at the grocery store you hear. I'm talking about how you might scream if someone was stabbing something sharp into the soft gum tissue of your mouth without cessation. Can't wait for the molars...

A grandpa stopped me in the store this week - actually, people stop and talk to me and Gage all the time when we're out. I think it's because he's so damn cute. But, that's just me - and commented on him to his own grand daughter who was with him. Then, he asked how old Gage was and saw his teeth when Gage smiled...and I said "yeah, we're teething right now" (Because you're obviously not a parent if you think they teeth on their own. No, it's a group project. Only, the kid is that one person in your group who didn't really do anything except for take credit for your work. Children survive teething because of the grown ups who take care of them. And mommies survive teething thanks to many bottles of rum.) He flat out told me to get a little bottle of Peppermint Schnapps and rub it on his gums to sooth them. And then he laughed and said "Helps them sleep too. I used it on her mother." People, if I had a bottle of Peppermint Schnapps, it would be a large one. And I would be drinking a lot of "peppermint mochas" in the middle of summer.

At least we made it through another round.

No comments:

Post a Comment