Thursday, September 2, 2010

Getting Settled

Well, we finally got our internet and cable hooked up yesterday afternoon. So, I have returned to the land of Blog. Let's see, my last post was Thursday, so let's start from there.

Friday, I did a great deal of packing...in fact, I stayed up until 2am packing. Curtis went to bed at 10pm and got up around 4am to take his shift. This is a perfect example of how he is a morning person and I am not. The movers were scheduled to arrive at 8:30am. They showed up 20 minutes late, which should have been my first clue.

They're paid by the hour, with a two hour minimum. They took nearly 4 hours to move our stuff. And, we moved approximately 73 seconds from our old apartment. I was very disappointed with them. I wish I had found someone else to do it! Next time we move, in 2 years, I am going to pay someone to come and PACK ALL OUR STUFF first. Because that's a bitch. Yep. I said it. I hate moving that much. Teething's a bitch too. Moving and Gage teething...well, there's not enough tequila in this world to make that more tolerable. I was exhausted and (more) bitchy over the weekend as a result. Gage DID stay Friday night at Suzanne's, and a good portion of the day on Saturday due to the MORONS WE PAID to move our stuff. Again, this is a small, family owned moving company, and I am ALL about supporting the small business owner, but I wish we had used someone else.

I spent Monday doing I don't know what. Unpacking I guess. I know I didn't work. I wish I had been drunk so I would have a reason for not remembering. Tuesday I took Gage to Miranda's and spent almost 3 hours packing and moving and loading and unloading the rest of the crap from the apartment. And, I still had to make 3 more trips over the last two days to complete that. Thankfully, my mom came up and helped watch Gage while I did that today. I even had to carry trash to the dumpster. Let me tell you all a secret. I am NOT high maintenance in the grand scheme of things, BUT I truly feel like taking out the trash is my husband's job. It's really the only thing I expect him to do regarding cleaning the house. I think that's reasonable. But, he wasn't there today to carry it. I came home and I said "I did MANual labor today. I am not doing anymore for the next year". I am SO not joking here. I grew up never having to take out the trash or mow the yard, so I just don't have the gumption to start now. I ain't gettin' paid enough for that! Ok, I will stop being a brat. I'm sure Curtis will be embarrassed of me for writing that.

Tuesday night was Meet the Teacher at MDO, so I showered and shaved and even brushed and dried my hair and went to the church. Then we went and grabbed a bite to eat afterwards, and I got to know some of the awesome ladies I will be working with this year. I NEEDED that. Thankfully Curtis fed and changed and put the baby to bed while I was at Meet the Teacher, so I didn't have to worry about the munchkin. My hero! We start "school" next week, which reminds me I gotta find Gage's supply list and find what he needs.

Wednesday was a BEATING. Gage woke up in a teething sort of mood. We left early for me to squeeze in a few hours at work, and while I was running to the bank to make a transaction, I got a flat tire on the side of 75. And by that, I mean I had a small blow out and thank GOD I wasn't driving too fast, and I had some warning because my tire seemed to slowly blow out. It was in pieces when Curtis took it off my car. Fortunately I called my Hero, I mean my Husband, and he came and rescued us and changed my flat.

So, we are completely out of the apartment and into the house. There's random crap in my car from the last trip I made because I just didn't want to deal with it. It's odds and ends (how many times can I use that phrase in reference to moving?) and pictures and our Christmas tree. And, yes, there are plenty of things to unpack still, but I think over the weekend, we will have it mostly finished.

I am definitely going to be in the market for some throw rugs. I decided to fore go an area rug because I enjoy wood floors. But, my bath mat and kitchen mat don't go with the wall colors, so TOO BAD, guess I will be shopping once things truly get settled around here. I also want one of those cool car mats for Gage's room. The kind with the roads and tracks printed on it to drive matchbox cars on.

I will let you know when our heads are above water again!

3 comments:

  1. I hear you with the odds n ends. I think when we moved here, I labeled 80% of our boxes "misc." which was incredibly helpful when unpacking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. IKEA has those road map rugs for $15

    ReplyDelete
  3. One day in the future - possibly after moving with two or more kids, you will look back on this one with a smile and wonder why you didn't appreciate having less than you presently do (in the future, I mean). It seems you accumulate more "stuff" with every year, every child and every new job along the way.

    Anyway, take a few deep breaths and count your blessings. You have lots of them!

    Granny J

    ReplyDelete